Sunday, March 29, 2009

@ MDI

As i have already posted about my 3 calls,i would be mentioning my experience in detail starting with the most recent one-MDI for PGPM on 25th March mroning slot.

GD: 11 guys with 4 of us from MIT
Topic: Effect of global meltdown in India.
My initial impressions as i read the topic was WOW! i know this pretty well only to realize later how ignorant i was.
GD was overall noisy but yet everyone made some sense.I was amazed by the data thrown by Gaurav and Pritish.I hardly spoke and made a little sense.thankfully each of us were asked to summarize in 30 seconds where i did a decent job.

PI: There were 2 guys-same from GD who took the interview.It was better than i could imagine with interviewers asking questions from those little areas i knew.It went as follows:
P1: Tell us abt u
Me: sir i m pursuing my B.E from MIT in EEE..P1 interrupted
P1: Y u went so far?hows ur college?wats good abt it?dont u think fee is too high?
after these general questins i again continued with the intro as told
Me:I come from city of lakes-Udaipur. My father is a businessman.We have a textile spinning unit
I1: Wats the turn-over?profits?Do u export?what r ur markets?
I1: ok compare India and China's economic growth.
Me: India's is slow but steady as compared to China.Gave some data on growth rate,FDI and FII in both countries,Job losses and domestic markets.
I1:FDI and FIIs are good or bad?
Me: They are good for any economy but dependence on them is bad.
I1: Wat abt the tax structure
Me: sorry sir i dont hav any idea abt the taxes of China but recently i read an article stating Indian textile is losing to China due to a marginal diff. in cost.
I1: wat r the factors due to which China's production cost is so low.
Me: 1. Cheap labour(which India too has) 2. Organised and technologically better production plant
I1. Asked about extra - corriculars.mentioned many but didn't get into details of any.
Then i got a call and indicated I2 to carry on while he went around the room talking over the phone for rest of the interview
I2: Took my file and started reading it.On looking at CAT scores- wat r ur other calls?
Why u didn't get any call from IIM?
then looking at my grade sheets of engg.So u studies a sub. on mgmt. in engg.tell me wat do u understand by management?
Me: Sir to me its both-an art and science.Its the study of learning to manage resources like man,machine and money in the most efficient manner.
I2:wats the diff b/w generator n transformed?wat is Lenz' law?tell the 2 electromagnetic principles?state uncertainty principle(I said mass n velocity instead of distance and velocity).de broglie's equation.
I2:y u want to join this institute?
Thats it !
Interview lasted for about 15 mins. but i never knew hw time passed.The interviewers really made me quite comfortable.Now keeping the fingers crossed and awaiting results.Pray for me..
Piyush

1 comment: